How much do Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships pay? The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are highly competitive and prestigious awards designed to support outstanding postdoctoral researchers in their pursuit of innovative research projects. These fellowships are awarded by the Government of Canada and are aimed at helping researchers build their careers in Canada. In this blog post, we will explore the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships in detail, including their eligibility criteria, the application process, and benefits.
To be eligible for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship: Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or foreign citizens.
- Academic record: Applicants must have completed a PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a recognized university.
- Timelines: Applicants must have completed their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree between September 15, 2018, and September 30, 2022.
- Research project: Applicants must have a research project that falls within the natural sciences and/or engineering, social sciences and/or humanities, or health research fields.
- Host institution: Applicants must seek to undertake their research at a Canadian institution that is eligible to host Banting fellows.
The application process for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships is highly competitive and involves several steps. The application process typically opens in the summer, and the deadline is in the fall. Here are the steps involved in the application process:
- Find a potential supervisor: Before applying for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships, applicants must find a potential supervisor who is willing to support their research project. The supervisor must be a faculty member at the Canadian institution where the applicant plans to pursue their postdoctoral studies.
- Prepare the application package: The application package for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships includes several documents, including a research proposal, a letter of support from the potential supervisor, transcripts, and letters of reference.
- Submit the application: Applicants must submit their application package through the online portal. The application must be submitted by the deadline.
- Selection process: The selection process for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships involves a peer-review process. Applications are reviewed by experts in the field, and the selection committee makes the final decision based on the applicants’ academic record, research potential, proposed research project, and the support of the host institution.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships provide several benefits to recipients, including:
- Funding: The fellowship provides $70,000 per year for two years of postdoctoral studies.
- Recognition: The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are highly prestigious awards that recognize outstanding postdoctoral researchers who are committed to making significant contributions to their field and to society as a whole.
- Research independence: Recipients of the fellowship have the opportunity to pursue their research independently, with support from their supervisor and the host institution.
- Networking opportunities: Recipients of the fellowship have the opportunity to connect with other outstanding postdoctoral researchers in their field.
- Career development: The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships provide recipients with the opportunity to develop their research skills and advance their careers as researchers.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are highly competitive and prestigious awards that support outstanding postdoctoral researchers in their pursuit of innovative research projects. The fellowship provides significant funding, recognition, research independence, networking opportunities, and career development. If you are an outstanding postdoctoral researcher pursuing research in the natural sciences and/or engineering, social sciences and/or humanities, or health research fields, consider applying for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships to advance your academic and professional goals.